China has enormous potential. But when we try to work with this five-thousand-year-old culture, we quickly come up against certain barriers.
Here are a few of the most commonly mentioned challenges:
- The use of English as a common working language
- A different conversational and discussion culture
- How can misunderstandings be avoided from the outset?
- Complex networks of relationships, bureaucracies and hierarchies
- How does one establish the crucial relationship levels that facilitate effective collaboration?
- Differing ideas of time/project and quality management
- What has actually been said or agreed?
- How can we learn to read between the lines?